A major factor to consider when you’re thinking about purchasing a travel trailer is if your vehicle has enough power to safely tow it. It wouldn’t make much sense to buy a travel trailer you can’t tow. I can’t deny that the excitement of purchasing a new or used travel trailer may possibly sidetrack you from a very important factor of your vehicle being capable to safely tow the travel trailer, but this must be taken into consideration.
When you are researching and checking out travel trailers at ExploreUSA RV Supercenter there are some key weight issues you need to be aware of. But before you head over to ExploreUSA RV Supercenter, you need to find out what your vehicles towing capacity and limits are. You can find this very important information in your owners manual.
In addition to finding out your vehicles towing capacity and limits it is also a great idea to have a full understanding of the terminology associated with the weight issue. Here are some key words as well as their definitions:
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) – the maximum permissible weight of the vehicle when loaded for travel.
- Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) – the maximum permissible load on an axle. The GAWR is based on the assumption that the load is equal on both sides.
- Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) – the maximum weight of a combination of vehicles.
- Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight – the maximum weight that a tow vehicle is rated to tow.
- Hitch Ratings – the hitch on a tow vehicle will have two different ratings which are the Tow Rating which defines the maximum weight of a trailer in tow. As well as the Vertical or Tongue Rating which defines the maximum vertical hitch load that the trailer can impart to the tow vehicle.
When you’re travel trailer shopping at ExploreUSA RV Supercenter be aware of the travel trailers weight, both dry and full as well as the length, the height and the tongue weight. It is also important to find out what type of brakes the travel trailer has too.
We would love to help you find the perfect travel trailer that will fit your budget, lifestyle and your vehicle! Stop by any ExploreUSA RV Supercenter!