Texas RVers, Be Carbon Monoxide Aware!

The official day of fall has long since past, but it is still incredibly warm outside, which means, more time to RV Texas!!  You may be planning a trip to cooler weather and if so you may run into the chance of using the heater in your RV. It may sound a bit odd talking about using a heater when so warm outside, but it could happen. One of the dangers of using a heater in the RV is carbon monoxide poisoning.  But that is not the only time it could happen though it may be more likely. So if you are headed to cooler weather, and who could blame you, I would too, you need to protect yourself from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning by following these simple tips below:

  • Install a carbon monoxide detector
  • Check your carbon monoxide detectors batteries twice a year.
  • Inspect the chassis and generator exhaust system on your RV regularly. If it damaged have it fixed immediately.
  • Look over the RV for any holes or openings in the floor and the sidewalls.  If any are found, fix them with silicone adhesive or take it to have it fixed before you use it.
  • Check to make sure that there is a strong seal on the weather strips, windows and the door.
  • Check the flames of all of your propane-burning appliances to see if it is more of a yellow flame. This indicates that there is a lack of oxygen and could be potentially dangerous so it needs to be fixed immediately.
  • If you running a generator, always leave at least one roof vent open no matter what season or temperature it is outside.
  • Turn the generator off before going to bed. This will not also keep you keep, but it will keep your neighbors happy too.
  • If you are stopped in traffic for long periods of time, be cautious of who is driving what around you as this may be hazardous to your health especially if you have an unnoticed hole in the RV at the time.
  • Park your RV so that it can breath. Parking next to tall grass or foliage, building, statues, ect. can be hazardous as the fums may build up as they cannot escape that easily.
  • If you start to feel ill, don’t make excuses for what it could be. Instead, get outside, get some fresh air and shut of the generator.

Carbon monoxide can happen anywhere, anytime to anyone so it’s best to be prepared. Install a carbon monoxide detector if you don’t already have one. And stop by any ExploreUSA RV Supercenter today!

Share Button